Alicia Tam, Staff Writer
Edited by Victoria Chiu
Have you ever looked at a photo of yourself from years before, noticed what you were wearing, and literally died of embarrassment? Maybe your shirt was half tucked in and half not, leaving the entire backside completely crumpled in one giant mess. Or maybe you forgot to wash your jeans and there were still stains from where youaccidentally spilled your lunch last week. And lucky for you, it was in all the most noticeable places. Or maybe it was the classic “Your fly is open!” Believe it or not, fashion disasters like these happen to everyone. Even me—and I know I’m flawless. (Just kidding!)
So to prevent that latest fashion fiasco and to make sure you look the best in every school hall and for all other ventures you may encounter in life, here’s a little list of the most common fashion mistakes made by the common person:
- Stains. I’ll admit it: school days are dangerous—especially at lunchtime. It doesn’t matter if you bought that really nice shirt from Simons; one mistake and it’s done. Oh, you splurged on a cute pair of True Religion jeans? Gone within seconds as you watch helplessly as your lasagna spills on you. The worst is when you don’t realize you have a stain and only figure it out at the end of the day.
- Wrinkled clothing. It’s Monday, the most hated day of the week. Not only do you have two tests today, but you’re also currently running late. As you rummage through your closet in the dark, you go through a mental checklist. Shirt? Check. Pants? Check. Socks? Check. As you sprint out the house like every typical anime character running late for school, you fail to realize that the shirt you’re wearing has been balled up in the corner of your closet for who knows how long and has been left with a myriad of very attractive wrinkles. Fun for the whole family!
- Mismatched clothing. Everyone has at some point in their lives flipped through a fashion magazine before and seen the ugliest combination of colours mixed together in one outfit. Unfortunately, it can still happen to us, even with our relatively safe clothing choices. Although we’re all for making your own choices and feeling good in what you wear, it might be a good choice not to match your extremely printed shirt with the neon skinny jeans for situations like…funerals. And weddings.
- Too much clash. Okay, so maybe you have a life aspiration to become a full-on Nicki Minaj-inspired fashion icon—no judgement. But sometimes, too much fashion is just a little too much fashion. It depends on the sitch.
- “Your fly is open!” Ahh. Can’t forget this typical slip-up, which has victimized thousands of women and men all around the world. Be safe, everyone—and be on the lookout!
Okay, so maybe some of these are a little exaggerated, but at some point or another, we’ve all had a flashback to that one horrible time you thought popped collars à la the 80’s was really cool. It’s true: fashion mistakes can happen anywhere, to anyone, at any time, but with a little planning and consideration of your fashion choices, you can make an outfit work brilliantly, even under our fluorescent school lights.